(Cape Town, 17 November 2014) The 2014 Stellenbosch Cycle Tour, presented by Liberty – Own your life Rewards, takes place on Sunday, 30 November 2014. Roughly 7500 riders will line up at Stellenbosch High School to tackle the 95km route.
The annual event, now in its eighth year, will result in a few scheduled road closures and traffic delays in Stellenbosch and surrounding areas on race day.
Renee Jordaan, operations director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust which organises the event, explains: “The recently renamed Stellenbosch Cycle Tour has grown from strength to strength and has become a sought-after race on the annual South African cycling calendar. To ensure the safety of all participants, and to minimise the impact of the race on the general public, we have implemented measures to control traffic in certain areas where cyclists will be using public roads. These scheduled road closures and delays will allow for a safe and enjoyable ride for cyclists, while also causing as little inconvenience to road users as possible.”
All road users are encouraged to take note of the following road closures and expected delays during the event:
The following roads will be closed to traffic on the day of the event:
- Merriman Street (between Jannasch Road & Simonsberg Road) – Time: 04h00 – 14h00
- Simonsberg Road – Time: 04h00 – 14h00
- R310 Helshoogte Road (between R44 & Cluver Road) – Time: 07h00 – 14h00
- R44 (between the R310 Helshoogte & Lang Street, Cloetesville towards Stellenbosch) – Time: 07h40 – 13h30
- Welgevonden Exit onto the R44 – Time: 07h30 – 13h30
- R301 Wemmershok Road (R45 – Lustigan Road) – Time: 06h15 – 09h00
Motorists can expect delays on the following public roads, which form part of the race route between the following times:
- R310, Helshoogte Pass through Pniel – Time: 06h00 – 09h00
- R45, towards Franschhoek – Time: 06h00 – 09h00
- R301, in Paarl – Time: 06h45 – 10h00
- R44 (between N1 & Stellenbosch, direction Stellenbosch) – Time: 07h20 – 13h30 (please use alternative route)
- R310 Helshoogte / Cluver Road Intersection – Time: 07h45 – 14h00
The organisers have expressed their sincerest thanks and appreciation to all involved. Jordaan says, “The local community’s support of the event and their patience on race day has been fantastic over the years. This event would not be possible without the backing of the community, spectators and the Stellenbosch Municipality, and we are grateful for their continued understanding and well-wishes to all cyclists.”
On race day (Sunday, 30 November 2014) the public can contact the event organisers on 021 883 3538 or 021 883 3529 if there are any emergency queries or incidents to report.
The Stellenbosch Cycle Tour (formerly known as Die Burger Cycle Tour) is the final seeding opportunity for the Cape Town Cycle Tour taking place on Sunday, 08 March 2015.
To stay informed of developments of the Stellenbosch Cycle Tour, join their Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/stellenboschcycletour or follow them on Twitter at @StellenboschCT.